Before anything else we would start with the quote, “Safety is a cheap and effective insurance policy“. In any angle, this quote is really a fact and applies on each one of us in our day to day battle with what we call life. It is indeed a cheap but effective way of being safe not just physically but also, mentally and socially. Sometimes, when a person is too much pleased they intend to forget a lot of things, including their own safety. Well, we can’t stop these problems and threats but, we could avoid or prevent it to happen. Currently, with the great number of emerging Social Media sites like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and a lot more to discover, we are exposed to all possibilities. These Social media platforms bring along with them advantages where we could greatly benefit from it and also disadvantages. Advantages means, Social Media builds a good relationship to its users among other users too whether it’s your long lost friend or mutual friends. It helps a user search for relevant products/services, introduces and promotes business to fellow users and look for some productive details or data and foundation for putting up a business, small or medium size.
Now, we focus on it`s disadvantages and flaws. Bear in mind that the main purpose of these Social media platforms is to be exposed socially to thousands of people around the globe. Problems may occur if we allow them to happen, of course. In fact, there had been reports about identity theft that is very alarming and could possibly happen to anyone who’s not aware of it. Now, how can we prevent these from happening and avoid being a victim? Here are some must Do’s and Don’ts before, while and after we are using any Social Media platforms:
- Do Promote-Promote your products or services to prospect consumers/clients. Post only relevant photos, captions, details and company’s general information with great care.
- Do not Give Away Too Much Info’s-Only relevant information shall be given to your audiences. Do not give unnecessary details about yourself or your company.
- Do edit your privacy settings-There are hundreds of different Social media platforms and each of them provides a Privacy Settings that could be the first and foremost step in securing your or your company’s privacy. Change/edit it to what your business needs suits best.
- Do not Forget To Check-As you logged in (especially when using a public computer) or better yet, always check the logging in details first. Uncheck unnecessary box/boxes that you don’t really need. Ex. Uncheck the box that says, “Keep me logged in”.
- Do Keep Your Username/Passwords Secured-What are the purpose of making a username and passwords if you don`t keep it safe? Never give these details away to anybody. Especially if you are requested to such action over email. Banks and Insurance companies will NEVER ask you to enter these details over email.
- Do not Underestimate Discipline-Discipline is also a vital guide to each one of us. If possible, don’t visit and logged in on suspected and unsecured sites. Actually, being well disciplined and control over unnecessary actions would surely guide you in avoiding mistakes that could lead to your or your company’s downfall.
- Do Invest on Securing Your Sites- There are different security and verification certificates. Trust seals from Company On Net, Verisign Trust Seal, Trust Guard etc. SSL certificates from Digi Dign, Geotrust, Verisign and malware scanners like McAfee Siteadvisor and Hacker Safe. Spending money on these tools is also satisfying and gives greater security.